Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Millie's Mittens

Holy traumatic day! Warning, this story will be slightly gross so if you get queezy, don't read further, I want to protect my bloggies =)

Ok, so we sent our kitten (who is quickly growing into an adult cat) to the vet yesterday to be declawed (she's slightly tearing up her mommy's house and making her mommy go crazy. So since I work from home on Wednesday's, I went to the vet to pick her up today so that I could watch her and make sure she's ok.

I pick her up and see this....I'm cracking up that I caught her face like this...

Sad, and a little funny...I've never seen a cat in yellow boots before!

As soon as my friend that works at the vet's office put her in my arms she started purring so that made me feel better knowing she was comfortable.

Then I got her home and put her on her bed in the room (yep, the guest room is kind of "her" room right now) took a couple more pictures of her and went back in my office to upload all of them and send to mom and dad and Jeff (who was busy at work).


These pictures were taken MINUTES before the chaos began. Because right after, I walked into her room and it looked like a freakin crime scene. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, because I sure was! Seriously, there was blood EVERYWHERE. They told me at the vet that she would probably get the "mittens" off as soon as she got home, but no worries, there would just be "scabbing" and she would clean it up herself. YEAH RIGHT!!

I grabbed my phone, called Jeff freaking out, told him "I can't do this!!" and he said he would be right there and to somehow put pressure on her paw and take her in the bathroom before she ruins anything in my house.

So I take her in the bathroom, pick her up, she growls at me, which she never does, and I hold her on the cold hard bathroom floor with a wet washcloth around her poor little paw. She immediately starts purring, of course. Then Jeff got there about 15 minutes later, thank goodness, and I proceeded to clean everything off the bedding, carpet, walls, floorboards, tile, and furniture. Yeah, for future reference, when this happens, cats shake their paws and it gets everywhere.

Again, I appologize, this is the grossest post I've ever written!

So we took her back to the vet and they re-bandaged her paw and we're keeping her there till Sunday because MOMMY CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!

It's not that that stuff really grosses me out, but I just can't stand it when anyone is in pain. It makes me sick to my stomach especially if I don't know how to help them.

So Vincent is happy because he gets the house all to himself for another few days. I'm happy because my house is now clean and disinfected again (and redecorated!). And hopefully Millie is happy, content, and sedated at the vet on all of the pain meds they've doped her up on. We sent her this time with her favorite red blanket to lay in (thank goodness it was that color, eww).

4 comments:

Simply Me said...

ohhh, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. If it makes you feel better you still blog really well under pressure :)
That picture is beyond priceless as well- kudos for that.
your cat-child will be bakc to normal in no time!

Unknown said...

Awww poor baby... sounds like she is doing much better now! What a disaster! One day you will look back and laugh =)

Alison said...

Poor kitty - they hate things on their paws! When we got my cat declawed I kept her in our home office so she wouldn't run around the house and cause a tear in the stiches, but sure enough, she still managed to tear her wounds by pawing at the door to get out for like an hour straight.

There were huge blood streaks all over the door - so icky! So yeah, I feel your pain :)

Jenn said...

Poor kid (that is for you and the cat). Wishing her a speedy recovery!